At the time of this writing (Nov 30, 2011), the GreatShark network is comprised of one server, which is hosted in the Blue Square datacenter in the United Kingdom, powered with lightning fast speeds and uninterupted connections to ensure smooth functioning of all the websites and applications hosted on those servers.
What specs are the GreatShark servers?
The Brown server has 2 Quad Core Intel processors and 512MB of RAM. It is connected to the internet using a 100mbps fat pipe.
How do I become an IRCop (IRC Operator)?
Being in an IRCop position is a huge responsibility. IRCops spend most of their time providing technical support to it's registered and non-registered members, fighting spammers, participating in GreatShark meetings, responding to emails, and much more. Some people think being an IRCop is just about having that "status", and don't take the position seriously. GreatShark takes this position very seriously, and therefore has a few very strict requirements for the position.
A canidate for the position should meet the following requirements:
* DO NOT ask to be an IRCOp - we hand pick the canidates based on (but not limited to) the below requirements.
* Needs to have been known by the Opers for sometime. This helps us establish a relationship with the people, and get to know them, as well as how they conduct themselves in public chats.
* Should be active in the channels (#help, #chat, and at least one other channel on the network), as well as bringing new people into those channels to participate in the chat and help the network grow.
* Knowledge of IRC commands as well as how to configure multiple IRC clients.
* Has enough spare time to vounteer for GreatShark with an average of 8 hours per week.
* Have a good moral character, including always representing GreatShark in a professional manner.
* Has a willingness to follow supervisors directions, and cooperate as a team member with the other IRCOps.
How do I register my nickname?
To register your nickname on Greatshark.net, you need to type:
/ns register password email
passwordwith whatever you want your password to be, and replace
Once you have successfully registered, you will need to identifiy yourself with the following command:
passwordwith the password you set during registration). This tells NickServ that you are the owner of this name.
What IRC Client is recommended?
Xchat (free time limited trial)
Xchat2 (free alternative)
Other well known IRC clients would include:
How do I private message someone?
To send private message someone, (in Xchat) right click the user's name that you want to private message, and click "Open Dialog Window" and begin your conversation.
How do I use GreatShark for my Ustream chat?
Currently, it is unclear if Ustream will be moving any IRC chats around.
What Bots are available for my channel?
We curently have 1 bot. (SharkBot) if you would like this bot in your room, type the following command:
If you still need assistance, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Is making channels free?
Yes.. it certainly is check the other FAQ articles for more information.
Who runs the Greatshark IRC network?
Gnu47 - Andrew Booth - Co-Founder - Core Service Maintenance
Chris-D - Chris Davis - Co-Founder - Supervisory Technical and Admin
advcomp2019 - James Davis - Co-Founder - Technical and Admin
Shannon-D - Shannon Davis - Management Team
cooldude - Jordie Sherwood - IRCop
My rooms down? Not working right?
If your experiencing some problems with your room. & or users cannot connect, & not sure whats going on with it. Let us know in the Forums
You will need to have an account in order to post in the forums. You can obtain one Sign Up Otherwise, you can always email us, email@example.com
I was banned from GreatShark network what do I do?
If you have been banned from GreatShark Network but if you think that your ban was unjustified or has been placed by mistake then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to work with you to get this resolved.
How do I setup my own channel?
1. Make sure your nickname is registered.
2. Type the following command:
NOTE: change channel to whatever channel name you want.
3. Type the following command:
/cs register #channel password description
NOTE: change the #channel, password, and description to suit your needs
If you need assistance, please join #help